Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 19th: Turkey Time Line

I use a time line when preparing my Thanksgiving dinner. I write my time line beginning with the time I want everything ready to eat, and write it out backwards. I read about this in Martha Stewart magazine,  it really helps to keep everything on task and run efficiently. 

I cannot tell you how it helps to keep me focused, and really lets me enjoy the time with my family and friends. I literally tape the schedule on the cabinet or fridge, that way when someone pitches in to help they know exactly where we are in the process and what needs to be done and when.

Another thing I started doing a couple of years ago was to make the mashed potatoes in advance and then keep them warm in the crock pot. I use red potatoes and mix them with butter, sour cream and cream cheese.

I brine my turkey for 24 hours before cooking.  This is the recipe I use for the brine and cooking.

I'm very traditional when it comes to Thanksgiving meal. It's turkey, stuffing (Grandma's Stuffing from the Susan Branch Autumn cookbook) , mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh bread, cranberry, olives and a green salad. Oh yes- Pumpkin pie & whipped cream. No flairs or fancy stuff.

This morning I grocery shopped for just about everything we need. Now I'm ready!

(Thanksgiving table 2009)

I am so looking forward to getting all ready for family to arrive.
Yum- pies and breads to make, even all the cleaning and tidying. Putting the little personal touches in place to make it all the more special.

"At the table one never grows old"

The Girasole Lady

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day - they are so lucky to have you! I only get to do part of the meal and I miss getting to plan the whole holiday out, I also enjoy it! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add one more plate setting for me, sounds positively wonderful!

    ReplyDelete