Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 17th: A Vintage Letter

A very long time ago my Grammy gave me a letter that was written to her mother (my Great Grammy), from a uncle in Butte Montana. He was a professor at Washington Junior High School in 1919.

My Great Grammy's name was Catherine Harriet, she was called "Hattie".
I would love to have a Grand baby girl named Hattie  Crazy-huh? I don't think so, but my daughters seem to think so of me.
The letter was written on June 26, 1919


I love the way this letter is addressed:

Mrs. Char. Pendleton
Greenwood Bungalow
Payron Street
Petaluma
California

The cost of postage in 1919 was 1 Cent.

I love the writing in the letter. I won't write the letter in full, as it is 3 pages long - written on both sides.
I do want to share some parts of it....please.....I promise to keep it short.

I find a letter from Greenwood Bungalow, dated May the 7th. It cannot be possible that this was never answered! I know that much. This contained the good news that Greenwood Bungalow was all paid for. How glad we are. This brings a certain kind of self reliance and knowledge of safety which is comforting. Your canary birds can sing the louder and the sweeter, where the Bungalow has no mortgage astraddle of the roof. The color of the Dahlia blooms will be brighter, and the perfume of the roses more satisfying.

Your Aunt keeps fairly well and I am feeling fine. Your Aunt never wearies of working out of doors.

I got a substantial increase, along with the rest, but I am not any to well satisfied, as the cost of living seems to make slow progress downward-and never will come down during our lifetime. So the old struggle for more wages is thrust upon us in a very intensified form.

So you have in mind a automobile for next year. Many people find enjoyment in the possession of the automobile, but I fear for your garden where this restless coming and going sieges upon your calm quietness. I noticed when out in California that wherever a new garage appeared, the garden was a wreck and filled with weeds- neglected.. McCauley's final analysis of a perfect life was "a large garden and a small house" but the American present day ideal is a 2x4 room, with a Murphy bed in it, and a large automobile.


We paid 20 Cents a box for strawberries yesterday-small boxes at that. We paid two bits for two small melons. the purchasing power of the American dollar has been cut in two; therefore, we who toil for wages must have twice as many dollars as formerly.

Aunt joins with me in sending love to you all.
Affectionately, Uncle.

 The cost of living apparently has been a troublesome worry for families since long before our time. How many people do we know who are mortgage free?
 The was great importance placed on the appearance of ones garden.
The automobile seemed to be quite a controversial debate.

Do you know how much "two bits" is?
It's a Quarter (25 cents).

Thanks for listening.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The Girasole Lady

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! The art of letter writing is lost. I so enjoy the scroll of ones hand. Thanks for sharing :) (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete