Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Sign- part one

After months of pondering the idea of making my own Farmer's Market sign, today I got started.

The signs are going to be used as decoration in my home. No- I'm not opening a Market. 

I know I have posted this link before, but Funky Junk Donna was my inspiration. Her sign tutorial is HERE.
There was help from HERE too on the lettering and transfer.

I am terrible at tutorials, pretty sure I have mentioned that before. I'm more of the before and after kinda gal. If you're really interested in making your very own sign, I suggest visiting the above blogs for the real instructions. 


Here's my best shot.....
I have a old wood pile out back.
This particular piece of wood is the top of an old broken up dresser. Well actually it's half of the top of the dresser.
 I sanded the wood with an electric hand sander. 
Then I painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. The color is Old White. 
I used a sponge brush. After the paint was dry I took sand paper (by hand) and gave the wood a distressed look. (oops- no picture) 
Using Microsoft Word I created and printed out the words Farmer's Market. 
The image was flipped, and was then filled in with pencil. Placing the paper, pencil side down on the wood, then tracing around the letters to transfer the outline of the letters onto the board. 

I forgot to take a picture of it when I was done with that one, but I made a "Groceries' sign too, and this is what it looked like...then you paint inside the lines. I used craft paint for the words. 

I chose red for the word Farmer's and Charcoal for the word Market. 
Tomorrow I will distress the signs a little more and then play around with some 
Annie Sloan Soft Wax (dark wax) 
So far, so good! 
part two tomorrow...
The Girasole Lady

5 comments:

  1. You are so crafty...I am jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks great!! Good job. And I'm glad you had a great time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cool! Aren't making old signs fun?! Thanks so much for the mention! :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete