Monday, March 14, 2011

Garden Books

 I really love books, especially gardening and decorating books. I've mentioned before how much my Grammy influenced my life, not only in gardening and homemaking, but reading books. For as long as I remember Grammy always had a book on her side table. She read every night before going to sleep. It's a tried and true recipe for a good nights sleep. There are several books that had once belonged to Grammy that I now have.
These were from her gardening days as a young homemaker.

This Sunset book is from 1943. The inside cover is the only color picture in the whole book. Everything else is black & white, with simple drawings.

This Garden Flower book is also from 1943.

Garden Flowers In Color. I can imagine what a treat that must have been for a flower book to have such colorful pictures inside.

The pages are so smooth to the touch. Peony- still a classic favorite.

My Great Grandfather, Charlie, was a member of the Petaluma Garden Club and was given this book as a gift with this inscription:


Times have certainly changed, but the love of gardening remains constant through out the years.

Elizabeth Lawrence said - “There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.”


The Girasole Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment