Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Summer Sewing

                           
It's been a very, very, long tine since I have had the opportunity to sew during the Summer months.
As a matter of fact, let me give you a mental picture of how long it has actually been.

When my girls were little, I used to sew often, almost daily, during the Summer months.  
Our home, at that time, had big glass doors right off our bedroom that overlooked our back porch.
I set my sewing machine up right in front of those glass doors, as to keep an eye on the girls while they played endlessly in their wading pool, surrounded by all sorts of water toys. 
They rode their riding toys across the BIG cement patio.  
They set up 'house' and had 'tea', and even went to 'school'. 
All the while watching them create a bond of sisterhood and friendship.
In case you're wondering-that was in the early 80's and I continued for several years afterward. 

Since then I cannot recall a time that I have used the words Summer and Sewing in the same sentence. 
But now, this Summer, I have sewn.
For so many past Summer's I have been a 'full-time' gardener. 
Having a smaller garden is so much less work.  

Well, I finally got around to finishing the top. 
Yes- I sorely missed the birthday deadline! 
(sorry Kristina) 


I made a few sundresses out of the most adorable fabric. 
It's a Sarah Jane design, printed on Michael Miller fabric. 
It is called 'Children At Play'. 

 I made this Sundress for Mia. 

I had to tweak the pattern here and there for sizing changes. 

I made two similar dresses in a smaller size, but forgot to take pictures of them before I gave them away as a baby gift. 

I picked up a couple of pillows from Costco 
and made some really cute cases to cover them...

 A pillow case for Mia
and a pillow case for Laci. 

The pillowcase tutorial was amazingly simple, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. 

Enjoying the Summer days.

The Girasole Lady



4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Becka, My word, you remind me of myself as I used to do exactly the same, I made most of my daughters clothes, either by sewing or knitting, but I haven't made any clothes for years.
    How lovely to get back into sewing and make little summer dresses for Mia, it is so lovely. Laci and Mia will love their pillow cases as you have chosen the most gorgeous material.
    Enjoy your day and Best Wishes to you as always,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are able to sew a little during the summer.
    The pillow cases are dreamy and I am sure any little one would love to rest their heads on a 'special' pillow made by Grammy !
    I must remember to make a few 'special' pillow cases. ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pillowcases, they came out super cute! Can't wait to see that blanket all finished up, and hey better late than never right. :)

    ReplyDelete